At a Glance
- Established as a permanent entity at 8th floor WAPDA Building, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka-1000, in 1972.
- Additional Director General (Planning), Chief Engineer, Hydrology and Superintending Engineer, Processing & Flood Forecasting Circle as controlling and supervising office.
- Total approved number of professional: 22 nos.
- Received UNDP/WMO assistance during 1981 to 1986 and 1989 to 1992.
- Danida (Denmark) technical & financial assistance during 1995 to 1997 and 2000 to 2005.
- Currently implementing 5 years duration “Strengthening FFWCs’ Early Warning Capacity” during 2010 to 2014 under CDMP-II, Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief, supported by the UNDP.
- On-going research activity during 2012 to 2017 entitled “Enhancing Early Warning System for Community Based Response in Bangladesh”, technical partner RIMES, supported by USAID through CARE-Bangladesh under Shouhardo-II Programme.
- On-going research activity during December 2012 to December 2014 entitled “Applying Remote Sensing Technology in River Basin Management”, technical partner JAXA and IWM, supported by ADB, TAPP:TA8074 (grant).
- Operates "Flood information Centre" as National Focal Point in connection with Flood Disaster Management.
A. Data Collection
- Mobile telephone.
- Voice data (HF Wireless network).
- Satellite Imagery (GMS, NOAA, IMD).
- Online data from Bangladesh Meteorological Department(BMD, IMD, RIMES), including satellite and rainfall radar data.
- Received upper catchment water level data on limited stations from CWC, India.
B. Satellite Imagery
- Monitoring of cloud & depression movements, precipitation estimation from cloud temperature analysis
- Cyclone monitoring
C. Real Time Data Management
- GIS based map display showing water level and rainfall status (Flood Watch)
- Data entry & processing
- Automatic data exchange to and from forecasting model
- Display of forecast water levels
- Generation of flood forecast bulletins
- Generation of flood status at local administrative unit (Upazila) level
- Flood statistics generation
D. Flood Forecast Model
One dimensional fully hydrodynamic model (MIKE 11 HD) incorporating all major rivers and floodplains. This is linked to a lumped conceptual rainfall-runoff model (MIKE 11 RR) which generates inflows from catchments within the country.
- Catchment Area = 82,000 sq-km.
- Total length of modelled rivers = 7270 km.
- No. of catchments =216
- Total number of water level observed stations=85
- Total number of forecast stations = 54
- Total number of rainfall observed stations=56
- Flood maps generated from model results via GIS link to model (MIKE 11 GIS)
- Daily monsoon bulletin & river situation report
- Water Level monitoring at 84 locations
- Rainfall monitoring at 59 locations
- River Water Level deterministic forecasts for 24, 48, 72, 96 and 120 hours at 54 locations
- Probabilistic 10-daily water level forecast (limited places and experimental basis) at 38 locations
- Structure based forecast at 4 locations
- Warning messages
- Special flood situation report
- Flood forecast maps
- Interactive Voice Response (IVR) through mobile (mobile no 10941)
- Lobby display in Bangla
- Monthly flood report
- Dry season bulletin (weekly)
- Annual Flood Report
- Fax, Telephone
- Media; News paper, Radio & Television
- Lobby display
- IVR ( Dial Number: 10941)
- President's Office
- Prime Minister's Office
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Department of Agricultural Extension
- Department of Disaster Management
- Army Headquarters
- Arm Forces Division, PMO office
- Public Information Department
- Government Departments
- Disaster Management Information Centre (DMIC) and NDRCC
- District Disaster Management Committees (DDMC) and a limited number of Upazila DMC
- News Agencies - Radio & TV
- NGO's & International Organizations (WFP, UNDP, Red Crescent etc.)
- Foreign embassies and consulates in Dhaka
- Development Partners
- Research Organizations
- Field Wireless Stations
- And other agencies and organizations on request